For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
(a) Affiliate means any company that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with another company. The term “control” has the meaning given to that term in 12 U.S.C. 1841(a)(2), and a company is under common control with another company if both companies are directly or indirectly controlled by the same company.
(b) Area median income means:
(1) The median family income for the MSA, if a person or geography is located in an MSA, or for the metropolitan division, if a person or geography is located in an MSA that has been subdivided into metropolitan divisions; or
(2) The statewide nonmetropolitan median family income, if a person or geography is located outside an MSA.
(c) Assessment area means a geographic area delineated in accordance with § 228.41.
(d) Automated teller machine (ATM) means an automated, unstaffed banking facility owned or operated by, or operated exclusively for, the bank at which deposits are received, cash dispersed, or money lent.
(e) Bank means a State member bank as that term is defined in section 3(d)(2) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1813(d)(2)), except as provided in § 228.11(c)(3), and includes an uninsured State branch (other than a limited branch) of a foreign bank described in § 228.11(c)(2).
(f) Branch means a staffed banking facility approved as a branch, whether shared or unshared, including, for example, a mini-branch in a grocery store or a branch operated in conjunction with any other local business or nonprofit organization.
(g) Community development means:
(1) Affordable housing (including multifamily rental housing) for low- or moderate-income individuals;
(2) Community services targeted to low- or moderate-income individuals;
(3) Activities that promote economic development by financing businesses or farms that meet the size eligibility standards of the Small Business Administration's Development Company or Small Business Investment Company programs (13 CFR 121.301) or have gross annual revenues of $1 million or less; or
(4) Activities that revitalize or stabilize -
(i) Low-or moderate-income geographies;
(ii) Designated disaster areas; or
(iii) Distressed or underserved nonmetropolitan middle-income geographies designated by the Board, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, based on -
(A) Rates of poverty, unemployment, and population loss; or
(B) Population size, density, and dispersion. Activities revitalize and stabilize geographies designated based on population size, density, and dispersion if they help to meet essential community needs, including needs of low- and moderate-income individuals.
(h) Community development loan means a loan that:
(1) Has as its primary purpose community development; and
(2) Except in the case of a wholesale or limited purpose bank:
(i) Has not been reported or collected by the bank or an affiliate for consideration in the bank's assessment as a home mortgage, small business, small farm, or consumer loan, unless the loan is for a multifamily dwelling (as defined in § 1003.2(n) of this title); and
(ii) Benefits the bank's assessment area(s) or a broader statewide or regional area that includes the bank's assessment area(s).
(i) Community development service means a service that:
(1) Has as its primary purpose community development;
(2) Is related to the provision of financial services; and
(3) Has not been considered in the evaluation of the bank's retail banking services under § 228.24(d).
(j) Consumer loan means a loan to one or more individuals for household, family, or other personal expenditures. A consumer loan does not include a home mortgage, small business, or small farm loan. Consumer loans include the following categories of loans:
(1) Motor vehicle loan, which is a consumer loan extended for the purchase of and secured by a motor vehicle;
(2) Credit card loan, which is a line of credit for household, family, or other personal expenditures that is accessed by a borrower's use of a “credit card,” as this term is defined in § 1026.2 of this chapter;
(3) Other secured consumer loan, which is a secured consumer loan that is not included in one of the other categories of consumer loans; and
(4) Other unsecured consumer loan, which is an unsecured consumer loan that is not included in one of the other categories of consumer loans.
(k) Geography means a census tract delineated by the United States Bureau of the Census in the most recent decennial census.
(l) Home mortgage loan means a closed-end mortgage loan or an open-end line of credit as these terms are defined under § 1003.2 of this title and that is not an excluded transaction under § 1003.3(c)(1) through (10) and (13) of this title.
(m) Income level includes:
(1) Low-income, which means an individual income that is less than 50 percent of the area median income, or a median family income that is less than 50 percent, in the case of a geography.
(2) Moderate-income, which means an individual income that is at least 50 percent and less than 80 percent of the area median income, or a median family income that is at least 50 and less than 80 percent, in the case of a geography.
(3) Middle-income, which means an individual income that is at least 80 percent and less than 120 percent of the area median income, or a median family income that is at least 80 and less than 120 percent, in the case of a geography.
(4) Upper-income, which means an individual income that is 120 percent or more of the area median income, or a median family income that is 120 percent or more, in the case of a geography.
(n) Limited purpose bank means a bank that offers only a narrow product line (such as credit card or motor vehicle loans) to a regional or broader market and for which a designation as a limited purpose bank is in effect, in accordance with § 228.25(b).
(o) Loan location. A loan is located as follows:
(1) A consumer loan is located in the geography where the borrower resides;
(2) A home mortgage loan is located in the geography where the property to which the loan relates is located; and
(3) A small business or small farm loan is located in the geography where the main business facility or farm is located or where the loan proceeds otherwise will be applied, as indicated by the borrower.
(p) Loan production office means a staffed facility, other than a branch, that is open to the public and that provides lending-related services, such as loan information and applications.
(q) Metropolitan division means a metropolitan division as defined by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
(r) MSA means a metropolitan statistical area as defined by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
(s) Nonmetropolitan area means any area that is not located in an MSA.
(t) Qualified investment means a lawful investment, deposit, membership share, or grant that has as its primary purpose community development.
(u) Small bank -
(1) Definition. Small bank means a bank that, as of December 31 of either of the prior two calendar years, had assets of less than $1.322 billion. Intermediate small bank means a small bank with assets of at least $330 million as of December 31 of both of the prior two calendar years and less than $1.322 billion as of December 31 of either of the prior two calendar years.
(2) Adjustment. The dollar figures in paragraph (u)(1) of this section shall be adjusted annually and published by the Board, based on the year-to-year change in the average of the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers, not seasonally adjusted, for each twelve-month period ending in November, with rounding to the nearest million.
(v) Small business loan means a loan included in “loans to small businesses” as defined in the instructions for preparation of the Consolidated Report of Condition and Income.
(w) Small farm loan means a loan included in “loans to small farms” as defined in the instructions for preparation of the Consolidated Report of Condition and Income.
(x) Wholesale bank means a bank that is not in the business of extending home mortgage, small business, small farm, or consumer loans to retail customers, and for which a designation as a wholesale bank is in effect, in accordance with § 228.25(b).
[Reg. BB, 60 FR 22190, May 4, 1995]