(a) As used in this part, except where the text provides otherwise -
(1) Attorney means any person who is a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of any state, territory, or possession of the United States, including a Commonwealth, or the District of Columbia.
(2) Certified public accountant means any person who is duly qualified to practice as a certified public accountant in any state, territory, or possession of the United States, including a Commonwealth, or the District of Columbia.
(3) Commissioner refers to the Commissioner of Internal Revenue.
(4) Practice before the Internal Revenue Service comprehends all matters connected with a presentation to the Internal Revenue Service or any of its officers or employees relating to a taxpayer's rights, privileges, or liabilities under laws or regulations administered by the Internal Revenue Service. Such presentations include, but are not limited to, preparing documents; filing documents; corresponding and communicating with the Internal Revenue Service; rendering written advice with respect to any entity, transaction, plan or arrangement, or other plan or arrangement having a potential for tax avoidance or evasion; and representing a client at conferences, hearings, and meetings.
(5) Practitioner means any individual described in paragraphs (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), or (f) of § 10.3.
(6) A tax return includes an amended tax return and a claim for refund.
(7) Service means the Internal Revenue Service.
(8) Tax return preparer means any individual within the meaning of section 7701(a)(36) and 26 CFR 301.7701-15.
(b) Effective/applicability date. This section is applicable beginning August 2, 2011.