(a) Scope. This section sets forth the requirements for determining the payment adjustments under the Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program for hospitals that meet the criteria described under paragraph (e) of this section.
(b) Payment adjustment. With respect to all discharges from an applicable hospital occurring during FY 2015 or a subsequent year, the amount of payment under this section, or section 1814(b)(3) of the Act as applicable, for such discharges during the fiscal year will be equal to 99 percent of the amount of payment that would otherwise apply to these discharges under this section or section 1814(b)(3) of the Act (determined after the application of the payment adjustment under the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program under § 412.154 and the adjustment made under the Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program under § 412.162 and section 1814(l)(4) of the Act but without regard to section 1886(p) of the Act).
(d) Risk adjustment. In carrying out the provisions of paragraph (e) of this section, CMS will establish and apply an appropriate risk-adjustment methodology.
(e) Criteria for applicable hospitals.
(1) General. With respect to a subsection (d) hospital, CMS will identify the top quartile of all subsection (d) hospitals with respect to hospital-acquired conditions as measured during the applicable period.
(2) Use of total hospital-acquired condition scores. CMS will use total hospital-acquired condition scores to identify applicable hospitals. CMS will identify the 25 percent of hospitals with the highest total scores.
(3) Methodology for calculating total hospital-acquired condition scores. CMS will calculate the total hospital-acquired condition scores by weighing the selected measures according to the established methodology.
(f) Reporting of hospital-specific information. CMS will make information available to the public regarding hospital-acquired condition rates of all hospitals under the Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program.
(1) CMS will provide each hospital with confidential hospital-specific reports and discharge level information used in the calculation of its total hospital-acquired condition score.
(2) Hospitals will have a period of 30 days after the receipt of the information provided under paragraph (f)(1) of this section to review and submit corrections for the hospital-acquired condition program scores for each condition that is used to calculate the total hospital-acquired condition score for the fiscal year.
(3) The administrative claims data used to calculate a hospital's total hospital-acquired condition score for a condition for a fiscal year are not subject to review and correction under paragraph (f)(2) of this section.
(4) CMS will post the total hospital-acquired condition score and the score on each measure for each hospital on the Hospital Compare website.
(g) Limitations on review. There is no administrative or judicial review under § 412.170 and this section for the following:
(1) The criteria describing applicable hospitals.
(2) The applicable period.
(3) The specification of hospital-acquired conditions.
(4) The provision of reports to hospitals and the information made available to the public.