(a) Scope. This section sets forth the requirements for determining the payment adjustments under the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program for applicable hospitals to account for excess readmissions in the hospital.
(b) Payment adjustment.
(1) General. To account for excess readmissions, except as provided for in paragraph (d) of this section, an applicable hospital's base operating DRG payment amount is adjusted for each discharge occurring during the fiscal year. The payment adjustment for each discharge is determined by subtracting the product of the base operating DRG payment amount (as defined in § 412.152) for such discharge by the hospital's readmission payment adjustment factor for the fiscal year (determined under paragraph (c) of this section) from the base operating DRG payment amount for such discharge.
(2) Special treatment for sole community hospitals. In the case of a sole community hospital that receives payments under § 412.92(d) based on the hospital-specific rate, the difference between the hospital-specific rate payment and the Federal rate payment determined under subpart D of this part is not affected by this payment adjustment.
(c) Methodology to calculate the readmissions payment adjustment factor. A hospital's readmissions payment adjustment factor is the higher of the ratio described in paragraph (c)(1) of this section or the floor adjustment factor set forth in paragraph (c)(2) of this section.
(2) Floor adjustment factor. The floor adjustment factor is:
(i) For FY 2013, 0.99;
(ii) For FY 2014, 0.98; and
(iii) For FY 2015 and subsequent fiscal years, 0.97.
(e) Limitations on review. There is no administrative or judicial review under this subpart of the following:
(1) The determination of base operating DRG payment amounts.
(2) The methodology for determining the adjustment factor under paragraph (c) of this section, including the excess readmissions ratio, aggregate payments for excess readmissions, and aggregate payments for all discharges.
(3) The applicable period.
(4) The neutrality modifier.
(5) The proportion of dual-eligibles.
(6) The applicable conditions.
(f) Reporting of hospital-specific information. CMS will make information available to the public regarding readmissions rates of each applicable hospital (as defined in § 412.152) under the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program.
(1) To ensure that an applicable hospital has the opportunity to review and submit corrections for its excess readmission ratios for the applicable conditions for a fiscal year that are used to determine its readmissions payment adjustment factor under paragraph (c) of this section, CMS will provide each applicable hospital with confidential hospital-specific reports and discharge level information used in the calculation of its excess readmission ratios.
(2) Applicable hospitals will have a period of 30 days after receipt of the information provided in paragraph (f)(1) of this section to review and submit corrections for the excess readmission ratios for each applicable condition that are used to calculate the readmissions payment adjustment factor under paragraph (c) of this section for the fiscal year.
(3) The administrative claims data used to calculate an applicable hospital's excess readmission ratios for the applicable conditions for a fiscal year are not subject to review and correction under paragraph (f)(1) of this section.
(4) CMS will post the excess readmission ratios for the applicable conditions for a fiscal year for each applicable hospital on the Hospital Compare Web site.